Aspergers is Awesome!
So says Dr. Frank Gaskill, creator of the Dr. G. Aspie Show, and I agree with him!
All people, over time, are susceptible to negative messages about themselves.
Because Aspies and autistics are often made to feel “less than”, they can start believing these messages from society and media.
That’s why I’m so glad professionals like Dr. Frank Gaskill are out in the world, seeking to educate society about the many strengths of Aspergers.
Dr. Gaskill’s Academic Background:
- B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. in Psychology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Internship at Devereux Foundation of Pennsylvania
- Senior Research Psychologist for Devereux Foundation, serving treatment outcome research needs for +15,000 patients across the country
- One of the founding and a managing partner of Southeast Psych
- Member of private schools admissions testing team (CAIS) Author/Co-author of 2 books
In This Episode You’ll Learn About:
- His positive view of Aspergers and how that came about
- The lemon continuum
- Using a skills based approach
- How he became interested in psychology in general and Aspergers in particular
- How Dr. Gaskill joins his clients’ world
- How Dr. Gaskill and his group practices make psychology fun
- Dr. Gaskill’s thoughts on the term “Aspergers” going away – or not
- How parents can promote a positive view of autism/Aspergers to their child
- Mentoring for young people on the spectrum via David Finch.
- The benefit of the superhero analogy
Links and Resources:
Shrink Tank – Dr. Gaskill’s site, where popular culture and psychology meet!
Southeast Psych – Dr. Gaskill’s fun and innovative practice.
Comicspedia – a cool site talking about comics and psychology.
Join the Conversation
What topics would you most like covered on the show? Who would you like me to interview? Share you answer in the comments below or Ask me a question via my Contact Page.
Also, please leave an honest review for The Thrive with Aspergers Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each one of them.
Do you enjoy this podcast?
Please leave a review on iTunes! Your positive reviews will help drive awareness of the podcast so that more people can see it!