Did you know that Thrive with Autism/Aspergers has its very own reporting team?
Michael and Cici, from TWAP054 Happy Aspergers Marriage Secrets, attended AspieCon this year.
And they graciously submitted their report of their time there.
What Is AspieCon?
According to their website,
AspieCon is everything you love about ComicCon combined with the best aspects of a community resource fair. It celebrates the incredibly diverse interests of people on the autism spectrum while also providing valuable resources and support for our awesome Aspies and Auties, their families, and their friends.
Dr. Frank Gaskill and Southeastern Psych help organize this convention.
What You’ll Learn
- Aspies sharing their world with the outside public
- Sensory free zones
- Panels included the following topics:
- advanced cosplay techniques
- what to expect in therapy
- educational advocacy – how parents can navigate the educational systems via IEPs and help their child to take advantage of their skills and traits as a student with autism
- The Epiphany School of Charlotte – a unique school for students with Aspergers and other social communication differences
- a Question and Answer session with Aspie Teens – what it’s like to be on the spectrum as a teen
- Parenting on the spectrum – discussing the experiences, challenges, and joys of raising children on the spectrum
- How To Turn Your Passion Into a Career
- Autism After 18
- Employment for Aspies, and how many tech companies are recognizing the gifts of Aspies and Auties
- Celebrities and Famous People with Aspergers/Autism
Cici – it was interactive, out of the box, building a strong community, empowering individuals on the spectrum, not a disease, but a difference
Michael – it was a celebration of who you are as a person with Aspergers, squeeze every bit of who you are out of who you are
Join the Conversation
What topics would you most like covered on the show? Who would you like me to interview? Share you answer in the comments below or Ask me a question via my Contact Page.
Do you enjoy this podcast?
Please leave a review on iTunes! Your positive reviews will help drive awareness of the podcast so that many more can see it!