The Nine Degrees of Autism
Have you ever wished for a roadmap to explain your life?
Philip Wylie and a panel of autism experts (including Louise Page, Dr. Wenn Lawson, Dr. Michael Fitzgerald, Dr. Tony Attwood, and Dr. Temple Grandin, and more) have created a positive developmental model to explain autism across the lifespan.
About Philip Wylie
- had a very late diagnosis of Aspergers
- chartered financial accountant (equivalent to a CPA in the United States)
- completed his MBA
- born in London, moved to southeast Asia about 13 years ago
- passions – driving motorcycles, swimming, writing (used to be a long distance cross country runner)
- loves Indy Music, swimming, and traveling
In This Podcast Episode, You’ll Learn:
- What a developmental model of autism is
- The benefits of a positive developmental model for autism
- Comprehension – the model distills the many autism facts into understandable stages
- It supports positive mental wellbeing – the model recognizes a person’s gifts and values to society, versus the medical model, which only focuses on impairments and deficits
- The model provides a clear, systematic, linear map of development
- It combats many harmful myths about autism, including the belief that autism is a disease that must be cured.
- The Three Triads of Development
- Stages 1-3 Confusion
- Stages 4-6 Identity Alignment
- Stages 7-9 Well-Being, Productivity, Service to Society
Links and Resources
Philip Wylie writes,
About 15 years ago I identified a numerology system which resonated with my life and became a special interest but I did not understand why until 2012/2013.
I shared my “Nine Degrees of Autism” with Dr Luke Beardon at SHU and he
recognized it as being a valid developmental model for autism and other hidden
Psychobiography of a Systemiser, by Philip Wylie
In early 2012, Philip received a pre-diagnostic assessment from Sara Heath of Autonomy (UK) after a one hour Skype interview / evaluation. In 2013, he obtained a formal diagnosis from a psychiatrist who consults for the UN in Asia.
Join the Conversation
What topics would you most like covered on the show? Who would you like me to interview? Share you answer in the comments below or Ask me a question via my Contact Page.
Also, please leave an honest review for The Thrive with Aspergers Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each one of them.
Do you enjoy this podcast?
Please leave a review on iTunes! Your positive reviews will help drive awareness of the podcast so that more people can see it!