I recently wrote about the importance of suicide prevention for autistics and Aspergians.
In addition to being at risk for suicidal thinking, many autistics and Aspergians deal with anxiety and depression.
That’s why I recently interviewed Dr. Lee Wilkinson, author of Overcoming Anxiety and Depression On The Autism Spectrum: A Self-Help Guide Using CBT.
Dr. Wilkinson is aware of what he calls the mental health epidemic for those on the spectrum.
He’s also aware that many autistics/Aspergians have a hard time getting access to mental health services.
So he decided to write a self-help guide.
I’ve read the book, and I recommend it to clients I work with.
Dr. Lee Wilkinson, PhD
Website – Best Practice Autism
In This Episode You Will Learn:
- How Dr. Wilkinson developed interest and research in autism, starting with kids, and more recently with adults
- Why Dr. Wilkinson decided to write a self-help book for autistic/Aspergian adults
- Dr. Wilkinson’s emphasis on autism condition versus autism disorder
- What is cognitive behavior therapy, and why can it be helpful for reducing anxiety and depression for autistics and Aspergians
- How you can control your own emotional destiny
- Unhelpful thinking habits and helpful thinking habits
- “It sounds easy, but you have to work at it.” – Dr. Lee Wilkinson
- How low frustration tolerance can derail learning, and how to deal with that
- How a therapist should approach anxiety differently for autistics versus non-autistics
- How anxiety presents differently for autistics versus non-autistics
- The difference between self-esteem and a much more helpful concept: self-acceptance.
- Instead of “irrational versus rational”, think “unhelpful versus helpful”
Overcoming Anxiety and Depression On The Autism Spectrum: A Self-Help Guide Using CBT, by Dr. Lee Wilkinson, PhD.
A listener asked a question about dealing with anxiety and sleep – Here’s a resource from Tuck.com that can help.
Join the Conversation
What topics would you most like covered on the show? Who would you like me to interview? Share you answer in the comments below or Ask me a question via my Contact Page.
Do you enjoy this podcast?
Subscribe to the Thrive with Aspergers Podcast
AS & Noise Sensitivity
Learn about autism and noise sensitivity, along with 1000+ Thrive with Aspergers/Autism readers.